Wednesday, July 13, 2005

"Save As" Considered Harmful

It recently occurred to me that I was missing out on many opportunities for reuse of work because editors nowadays allow you to start on a blank page and do a "save as" until which there is no filename attached to that particular piece of work. In the days that I used ISPF/PDF as my sole editor, it repeatedly happened that I set out to do something I apparently did sometime earlier already. In editing a member of a partitioned dataset, you need to specify the membername first. And then, boom, there it was, the exact thing I was planning to enter, just because my naming algorithm seems to be stable and predictable. This saves you from remembering every little bit of maintenance work you ever did. It is a pity it went away, so now, when we do not remember the past, we are literally forced to repeat it.

No comments: